What is My Role?

If a student is disruptive and uncooperative, appears volatile or dangerous, or is demonstrating immediate harm to self or others call UNMPD at 911 for immediate assistance.

Often times, faculty, staff, and community members are in a good position to identify someone who may be emotionally distressed. You may be the first one to notice someone is acting in a way that is inconsistent with your normal experience with that person.

As such, we encourage the UNM community to say something or do something in this type of situation. You may be able to be a resource in times of trouble, and expressing your concern in the person may be critical to helping them get connected to university resources. If the situation is beyond your level of comfort, you can use the online reporting form to alert the university so that an appropriate intervention can be made. 

Types of Referrals

BARC can assist faculty and staff when students of concern. Some commone types of referrals we can assist with include:

  • Potential alcohol/substance abuse
  • Classroom and other behavioral issues
  • Mental Health
  • Students in emotional distress
  • Suicidal ideation
  • Suicide attempts
  • Threatening behavior

Understanding When To Intervene

BARC has identified some common indicators of students in distress, as well as actions you can take to intervene. If you have questions, you can always contact the Dean of Students Office, Student Health and Counseling, or UNM Police for further consultation. Follow the links below for information on: